"Oh I, oh, I'm still alive. Hey, hey, I, oh, I'm still alive"
After a long summer hiatus from recaps, we're back! Summer '17 was very eventful for The Land: new PR's were established, club records fell, and all Kiwis competed in as many World Championship finals as Ryan Hill! Before delving into all the summer performances we'd like to get into the most recent performances in the '17-'18 tour.
In true OZAC fashion a time trial was staged to tune up for the opening XC season. The 1st Annual Old Zealand DGAF Memorial Pre-Race XC 5k Time Trial (FAOZDGAFMPRXC5KTT, for short) was staged in the not-as-cool-as-expected hour of 8AM on September 2. Despite the heat and fact that it was a meaningless time trial, there were some impressive performances. Chaz sat-and-kicked on Mike, leaving him for dead with 200 to go, with the pair finishing in 16:10 and 16:14, respectively. Fresh off a summer of PR'ing in workouts Davey smashed his previous best 5k with a strong 16:33 "no man's land" effort. Hearne and Asher stayed close for a while to turn in times of 16:44 and 17:00, respectively. Henry was narrowly outkicked by his 16 year-old self, eventually finishing in 17:55.
When the Kiwis first arrived at Monument Valley Park for the Colorado College Invite, they could have never imagined what would unfold. Despite the starting packets specifically stating that club teams would not be scored, OZAC overcame the odds and made the five team podium and official results. Led by Dirty Dave Marx's 27:01 and followed by a tight Kiwi pack (Mike-28:14, Asher-28:19, Hearne-28:36, Chris-28:42), OZAC's 142 points narrowly edged host Colorado College's 148 for fifth. The Kiwis look forward to the rest of the Prius tour with optimism.
Notable summer performances:
- 2nd Annual Kevin Hearne Memorial 2400: Hearne - 7:24 (fastest posthumous performance since Pre's 12:36), Henry - 7:27, Mike - 7:33
- Portland Track Festival: Mike - 15:33 (beats 8 year old PR, still not 15:31), Henry - 15:55, Butcher - 16:12 (track 5k debut)
- Bolder Boulder: Hearne - 35:06 (then PR), Asher - 36:27 (impressed girlfriend's parents), Chris - 37:26, Brandon (find the fastest 12 year old's time and subtract 1 second, no joke)
- La Sportiva Trail Relay (Burning Can): Micah and Davey dominated, lapped entire field. More impressive when considering that each lap is 2.8 hilly miles.
- Great Lakes Relay: Henry was a member on the winning co-ed team and overall runner-up
- Cascade Lakes Relay: Mike was a member on the overall 4th place team
- Run the Rockies Trail Half: Chris - 1:33:32 (4th overall, half marathon debut, apparently broke foot)
- Classic 10K: Hearne - 34:26 (club record for road 10K)